BCCI: Please Stop This Madness!
We had earlier expressed our strong disapproval
in letting potential terrorists into our territory in the name of enhancing the 'people-to-people' contact. Now our worst fears might have become true. We were outraged when we read: Missing cricket fans behind B’lore terror?
(via Secular-Right). We join Primary Red
to call for an end to this madness called 'cricket diplomacy' which is nothing but a farce to enhance the pocket books of the tax-evading fatcat
organization called BCCI.
Even discounting the latest terror connection, there are enough reasons to stop this suicidal attempt at people-to-people contact. Consider:
- A couple of years after 9/11 the Indian cricket team toured the Taliban/Al-Queda supporter Pakistan despite refusal by other countries and save the then bankrupt PCB.
- Pakistan Cricket Board is officially governed by Chief Terrorist Musharraf himself. Usually one of his sycophants from the Pakistani Army get the post of administrator. With the absence of civilian control, do we know how this money is used?
- Why should I worry about rich Pakistani Ex-Generals you might ask. Because, they hold vast amount of assets and control an immense amount of the Pakistani economy through various trusts like Fauji Foundation, Fauji Cement Co., etc. Pakistani scholar Dr. Ayesha Siddiqa says in an interview about her country's army:
A politically strong entity that engages in political predation needs to feel economically or financially autonomous. This completes the picture of predation. The generals thought that they wanted to establish independent means of providing for their welfare and not depending on the civilians like it happened in India. The financial autonomy gradually created the logic for greater interest in political control.
- Thus as long the Army controls everything, the so-called Pakistani civil society will remain far from being empowered and democratized. In order to really work towards a durable peace process (note the absence of quotes), India needs to avoid any gestures which reinforces the Pakistani Army's role in the country's politics and economy.
- A forceful arguement from Arindam Banerjee writing in Rediff that money which goes to PCB actually funds terror.
- Apart from Shaid Afridi's terrorist first cousin who got shaheeded (see link above), Javed Miandad (considered an all-time great of Pakistani cricket who later became its coach) recently entered into a matrimonial alliance with Chief Terrorist Financier Dawood Ibrahim.
- The shady Dubai-based company Ten Sports has obtained exclusive television broadcoast rights for all matches played in Pakistan. Do we know any more about this company?
We rest our case. We now call upon bloggers and concerned citizens to send a forceful message to the greedy bosses
of BCCI who claim to represent Team India. Please, not in my name.
PS: As someone who does follow cricket, we think that our boys can prove their cricketing mettle by rather winning against this
team in this
ground rather than play doctored batsman-friendly
pitches in Pakistan.